Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Stephanie Melgoza Sentenced to 14 years in Double DUI Homicide

If you get 14 years in liberal hell Peoria Illinois can you imagine what the Folly Beach Bride Killer Jamie Lee Komoroski will get?

Police body camera footage shows 24-year-old woman who was sentenced to 14 years in prison earlier this month smiling, laughing, and singing after authorities told her she killed two people in a crash.

Stephanie Melgoza was sentenced to 14 years in prison on May 5, 2023. Authorities said she was under the influence and speeding, with Megloza pleading guilty to two counts of aggravated DUI and two counts of aggravated reckless driving.

The two people -- Paul Prowant, 55, and 43-year-old Andrea Rosewicz -- were trying to cross the street when Melgoza hit them in April 2022.

Melgoza: "You never answered me about my car. I have school tomorrow, so how do I get my car?"

Police: "Well, your car is totaled."

Melgoza: "It's what?"

Police: "Your car is totaled."

Melgoza: "Total, total?"

Police: "Totaled. Wrecked."

Melgoza: "OK, so how do I get it here then?"

Police: "You don't."

Melgoza: "So, I don't go to school tomorrow is what you're telling me?"

Police: "No. ma'am. You want me to be honest with you? You're going to jail. You don't have a bond. You killed two people tonight. I don't think you understand that. You do not have a bond. You are not getting out of jail. 

Your car is property of East Peoria Police Department because it's a crime scene. It killed two people tonight. You are clueless with that. Clearly, I've already explained this to you. You're going to jail for reckless homicide tonight. You're going to jail for aggravated DUI for killing two people. That's what's going on. So, no you're not going to school tomorrow. You're not getting your car out of impound."

Melgoza: "Can I get it Tuesday for my night class?"

Police: "Did you just hear what I just told you?

Melgoza: "You said I'm not going tomorrow. I'm talking about Tuesday."

Police: "Did you hear what I said?"

Melgoza: "You said, 'you're going to jail tomorrow.'"

Police: "You're going to jail right when we're done here. Did you understand what I told you? That you killed two people tonight?"

Melgoza: "Yes. I'm just wondering when I can go to school."

Police: "OK, we're done. You're all on body camera being completely careless about killing two people tonight. You could care less. That's sad and pathetic and horrible all at the same time."

Melgoza: "Can you say that as a cop?"

Police: "Yes, ma'am. I can."

The second video shows her at the scene of the crash, where she tells police officers who responded to the scene a person walked out in front of her car.

Melgoza goes on to say the person "came out of nowhere," adding that she is "a safe driver." She tells police she was driving at least 40 mph after leaving a bar.

"I honestly don't think I was going too fast because I try to be precautionary," she said.

She also admits she had three drinks containing vodka and wasn't too drunk.

Like, right now, if you had me do a test, I think I would pass," she said. "Like, don't test me but I think I would pass."

The officer then gives her sobriety field tests, with Melgoza smiling and giggling.

"It's so hard keeping my head straight," she says with a snicker as the officer checks her eyes.

Melgoza fails the tests and the officers tells her she's under arrested for driving under the influence. She laughs as the officer places her in handcuffs.

She also tells the officer there's no way she hit and killed two people.

I feel like I'd be crying," she says. "I feel like I'd be like, 'Oh, my God. I did this.'"

Since the videos were made public, Melgoza's father has spoken out in his daughter's defense.

At her sentencing, she apologized.

I’m so sorry for everything, and I will never, ever commit anything like that again," she said, according to the Pekin Daily Times. "I have not drank since that day. I do not plan on drinking ever again."

Cedar's Take: I have long practiced what I preach. I don't drink in social settings unless someone else is driving ever. I get a lot of looks when I ask for just tonic and lime only. I get a lot of those oh I didn't know comments.

Commercial Pilot and Boat Captain the rules are pretty strict in most cases zero drinks is the requirement.  Specifically, the Federal Aviation Administration rulebook states that a pilot may not use alcohol within 8 hours of a flight and cannot have a blood alcohol content above 0.04% if the time limit has passed.

US Coast Guard rules are less restrictive but my crews are always on a zero limit while under charter. The job is 6am til Midnight while guests are aboard. So those bookend charters (Guests departing the same day new guests arrive) are a real buzz kill.

The USA is pretty lax when it comes to DUI enforcement where in Australia the BAC is now 0.05 still with the ease of getting an Uber and mass transit why drink and drive ever?

11 comments:

  1. Why do black people shoot each other so much?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black people have a different mindset dating back to Africa. They give their teenagers guns to protect the tribe and battle with other tribal factions. That mentality is inherited to future generations which live in urban squalows of America. The black teens get recruited to sell drugs to feed their mothers and siblings. Their brains slowly decay and we get the results that we see in Charlotte, today. I don’t have any sympathy for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to start a Noogies thread but isn't that what Cedar has been saying for some time?

    "The African American Community has become a culture of violence, embracing criminality and gun play"

    Seems pretty racist if you ask me. But if you look at crime stats it is clearly a generational thing. Sure there are plenty of cases of whitey acting up but 9 times out of 10 it is black people acting all crazy. And they are only 12.1% of the population of the US.

    So tell me why are 99% of the youtube or tictok videos of people fighting at a fast food restaurant black ? It should be just 12%. I seriously what to understand what the hell is happening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drinking and Driving is not a crime. Being drunk while driving is a crime. Also, this was created out of politics due to a few bad cases by crazy people behind the wheel. Gun nuts say a gun is a tool. A car is a tool. The wrong people get them and people get killed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A big problem at CMPD is that there is always an idiot to fill the role of a cop that gets screwed. JJ fired 5 guys from my team and the division just ponies up a whole new team of people. It’s all about #1 with no team mentality or bargaining platform. They just cycle the supervisors around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok i will bite, what did they get fired for?

      Delete
    2. Didn’t watch a suspect and he swallowed crack rocks. The city paid 7 million to settle the case and fired my coworkers.

      Delete
  6. Looks like we are starting to have problems at Catalina Place Mall, too. Is anywhere save, Cedar?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is that mall on the bus route? Most have been people of color fighting

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carolina Place has been slipping for over 10 years but Pineville lacks the drive, resources or knowledge to do anything. Might as well call it Eastland II

    ReplyDelete