Friday, January 1, 2010

My Dates with a Charleston TV News Reporter Part - One

I spend a lot of time in Charleston but at the same time, I'm not real familiar with local TV personalities. So when I was introduced to Ms. TV girl at a wedding in late October few years ago I had not a clue.

The introduction offered not much other than.. "This is my sister's … ummm.... college roommate, I think...." left to fend for myself I came up with the most amazing pickup line… "Hi"

Thank God she saved me with a cute complement about my tie.

So a few glasses of really nasty champagne, a turn around the dance floor and we were out the door. We stood in the parking lot, traded phone numbers and started to go our separate ways.

It's only 9:10 PM and I'm going home unless I do something quick, "Coffee"? I ask.

"I'd love some coffee", came the surprise reply.

I love a great coffee and know all the stops at home and but when I'm out of my element I am smart enough to follow. We took my Lexus and she gave directions.

Her choice first, it's not really late but her fav place is already closed. My turn, there's a five star restaurant with tiny bar in a hotel near by …. SCORE! A happy hostess, some really good champagne, one seven layer coconut cream cake to die for, two forks and then the best coffee.

I don't notice the stares at first, but before long I do notice. There's a couple in their mid sixties and they are staring and still I have no clue that this person, this stranger to me is no stranger to everyone else, as Ms. TV has described her profession as "I work in media" and she quickly changes the subject.

She asks me about my work. "My work is simple and at the same time complex, I'm an investment manager, as my father and my grandfather before me".

Neither of us are giving up any secrets tonight, but our conversation moves with an easy flow, my life in Charlotte, my friends, her friends, her dreams, mine.

Time stands still and the older couple soon depart. If there are other patrons I don't notice and soon it's just the two of us and the last of the restaurant staff.

I open the door for her, as the restaurant's vacuum comes to life and we step out into the moist evening air. I suddenly find her hand on my arm and she's holding on tight.

She's prefect, pretty, a great smile, with all the needed parts in all the right places. Though I don't know it yet, I'm about to bail.

Part Two is Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment