Sunday, January 17, 2010

My Dates with a TV News Reporter Part Three

When you fall for someone you shouldn't fall for, the first warning sign is you can't think straight. The second warning sign is you can't remember when it was that you last had a coherent thought.

I put the coffee pot in the refrigerator and the milk sits on the counter, it's the 3rd time in three weeks I do this and the cause is another 4AM phone call from TV girl. She's been at the scene of a fire since 2 AM, so I have 3 hours before she shows up at the door to the resort condo I've rented for a few days.

Over the last three months we have settled into a very comfortable routine. Three hours is too far to drive for dinner and sex so we opt for just the sex. Going out for dinner takes too much time, so we don't eat.

A week after we met at the wedding it was like we'd know each other a lifetime everything just clicked, it fit and fit well.

When we do go out dinner is always big fun, we joke and laugh, the conversations are always free and easy. Even the server at Poogan's cracks huge smile and tells us we are sooooo cute. We agree on most everything. Except, I like blue (colbalt) but she likes her blue light (Carolina).

She's smart and funny as can be, but the serious side comes out when work calls. I watch her toggle between her professional voice and her flirt voice. She's way cute then all busines and right back to way cute. She's also the new kid on the block at W whatever TV and that means weekends are a lost cause. She has big goals and big dreams and I learn fast don't crack on Katie Couric EVER!

At the end of May I'm reminded that the Marine will have a two week leave, but then would go back for another six months or so.

Last week the call came, the Marine was on his way. Tomorrow maybe Saturday afternoon. We call and text and call some more. At 11:52PM news comes that the Marine got an early flight out and will be "home" in the morning.

With her use of the word "home" comes a really sobering feeling, but I'm a nice guy. I offer encouragement and understanding. I promise to be here.

The next morning brings a text from TV Girl, "no call - no text K?" I don't reply. The "L" word shows up a few seconds later. I start to send the only thing I can say to that ... but change my mind. "Ditto" is not me but I send it anyway.

So all I can say is what was I thinking.

Footnote:

The "Marine" is back, and I'm really kinda glad. I'm also pleased to lean that his company has not been in a hostile area in 11 months. His job is at a desk at camp something freedom, they even have a Subway and Taco Bell. I'm sure it's not fun and frankly I think the war in Iraq is a mistake. I've also learned that "the Marine" has a really bad temper and once even loaded his AR15 and stormed out of the house to have a word with a friend who in a drunk fest made a move on TV Girl.

I think I'll change my cell number tomorrow. Move to LA or better yet the islands.

No comments:

Post a Comment